Shae Vizla APac Test Server




It is finally time! Asia Pacific finally have a server, well, a test server for now. But this is something I've wanted for the longest time. While I think I played when there was an Australian server originally, I didn't actually play on that server for some reason? I didn't even know it was an option, and it taken down soon after I started playing so that would have been an issue... I instead chose the Ebon Hawk server because the small SWtor community I was a part of on Tumblr was primarily on that server back in the day. Now however, since the big server merge of 2017, I am now primarily on the Star Forge server. But that is all in the past! Now we have an APAC server! (for now). 

Some things to note are that I am in Western Australia, and usually play on the Star Forge server with around 300ms ping. This is all my day 1 opinions. I may update them as I play more but I will say when I do.


What is this APAC Server?

APAC stands for Asia Pacific. I like to type it as APac sometimes just to make it clearer, same way I do SWtor. This server is not only a test for having a server in this area of the world, but also a test for SWtor's new cloud hosted server using Amazon Web Service. Now, I don't know exactly what the difference is between this and what they're using right now, but it is a newer technology and will allow them to allocate more resources into stability, better ping, easier back end updates just to name a few things. I don't fully understand how these work, but an upgrade is an upgrade! This is the next step in modernizing this game, the first being updating the launcher and upgrading the game client to 64 bit, which has already drastically improved the game in my opinion. 


Server Ping

So the biggest concern I had was ping. So far in my SWtor career I'd been playing on a roughly 300ms ping server. So how does 50ms feel? Smooth and responsive to say the least. Something I noticed very prominently is mounts appearing way quicker. It only takes half a second for a mount to appear, but when you're on a high ping server you really notice the difference between .5 seconds and .8 seconds. Another major thing is how responsive abilities feel. If you've read my 7.0 Vanguard guide, you'll know you can trigger Assault Plastique's explosion with Explosive Surge. I tested this in PvP and you really notice the time difference in AP exploding and the damage flytext appearing! And while we're on the topic, I no longer have to lead my AOE's and hope they land. ES is a very good example because you have to land it's AOE, which is around you, on the enemy that has the AP attached to them for it to explode on command. I can actually hit them from a closer, more accurately positioned place. Using Storm and stuns are also perfectly timed. No longer do enemies fly forward a few metres to account for the server delay when stunned or rooted. Interacting with object has also been instant. Pretty much everything is quicker! There is no split second moment of waiting anymore!

It's worth noting GSF performs way better with low latency, I mean I expected that, but when I collide with something I actually bounce and take damage as I hit it and not soon after. 


Issues

Out of the list of things the devs have asked us to look for, there aren't many things I could find that could be an issue. The only notable thing is I can't find the Legacy Unlock that lets you mount up while moving. I should also note that I don't know where it is from memory so I could easily be missing it by mistake. They wanted us to note queue times too. While I didn't note down how long I waited, it was a considerable amount and I found myself alt+tabing to another window and leaving the game in queue in the background for PvP, GSF, and FP group finders. Not anything drastic, but the location text on the server select screen has "ASIA PACIFIC" in all caps whereas the others are not. I have also noticed some people have question marks (?) in their name. I don't think this is a feature normally? I have only seen 12 people on Republic Fleet, and 6 on Imperial Fleet, so it's not a big sample size, but there's been like 4-5 people with a question mark in their character name.

All in all, the pros out way the cons a few times over in my opinion.


Other Player's Responses

I asked in both faction's fleet general chat if anyone has had any issues and the general consensus is that there aren't any! Same as before, it's a small sample size, but the only issue I've heard about is a natural one, that being server ping, but those comments come from people outside of the Asia Pacific area. About time you all got a taste of what us over here have been dealing with this whole time ;) Also one person commented that trees load in? Apparently that was an issue on the PTS for some reason, and I find that funny.


Incentive

So why would someone want to test this new server if it is only temporary? Besides having good ping for those of us down here in Australia, and the pursuit of improving the game with feedback, we get a reward! An Opal Vultpilla Mount! This mount will be given out in the next patch release to those who have done a few specific tasks. Those include logging into the server, playing PvP and GSF, and doing a Flashpoint. I really like this :) It really feels like they're giving something cool back for helping the server, and gives the vibe that the devs want this to happen. They're giving us incentive to get the ball rolling, and I hope it does! I want a good ping server so bad!!


Moving Characters...

You can tune out here if you're only here for the server's performance review :) 

Ok, so some personal stuff about the new server. It's named the Shae Vizla Server!! I bought a Shae Vizla figurine to sit on my desk only a few weeks ago and I just think that's a nice little coincidence. I do love Mandalorians after all :)

I also have to decide who I want to move across in the instance where this server does become a real thing :( But how do I decide? Well, I already have to be honest. While most of the people I used to play SWtor with don't play anymore, I have played on my own since, so I have characters that don't have the sentimental value of friendship attached. I will be leaving behind those characters in the off chance that an old friend would like to play again and I can join them just like old times. The characters I will be moving are the face of this blog, my Vanguard Trooper BinaryNine, my recently made Bounty Hunter Lo-Rhurk Koste who I made after the influence by The Mandalorian Season 3 and the new SWtor Mandalorian story content, my rad samurai Jedi Knight Korrurn who is influenced by the Ronin: A Visions Novel. I think that's it for now? I might make a new character and experience a class story again. Maybe I'll document it on this blog? Who knows? I sure don't, and I'm the guy who runs this place!

Comments